Den Tilsandede Kirke - The sandburried church
Skagen, North Denmark Region, Denmark
The oldest available information of the church dates back to 1387, where the church is mentioned about a trial regarding a shipload of expensive clothes, which had been stored in the churches attic. The remaining church tower and the western part of the church are from the end of the 1400s but have been rebuilt in the 1700s.
On June 5th, 1795 King Christian VII gave his permission to discontinue the Sankt Laurentii Church, since it was no longer possible to keep the church free from the drifting sand. The church tower was preserved as a seamark, and in 1816 the tower's original red brimstone was chalked white. The churchyard continued to be used as a graveyard until 1810.