Fort William Burgh:
An inhabited place in the parishes of Kilmallie and Kilmonivaig on upper Loch Linnhe, 123 miles from Glasgow and 3 miles west of Ben Nevis. Created a Burgh of Barony in favour of George, Lord Gordon and Badenoch in 1618 under the name of Gordonsburgh. Created a Burgh of Barony in favour of the Governor of the Fort during the reign of William and Mary under the name of Maryburgh. Became a Police Burgh in 1875. The original Fort was built by General Monk in 1655 and named Inverlochy. Rebuilt under William III in satoen but demolished to make way for the railway in 1894.
Courtesy of Historic Environment Scotland, https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/results?st=fort%20william