Flakstadøya, Nordland • Norway
The church of Flakstad is the second oldest church on the Lofoten, built in 1780. It is not the original church though, as an older one, built in 1480, stood in the same spot before. In 1750 Bishop Nannestad visited Flakstad and described the old church as a lower wooden building with a stone roof, which was broken in many places by storms.
The new church was built around the older one, so that it was possible to hold church service while the construction work was ongoing, and once the building was finished, the older one was taken down and the pieces of the older one that no longer were of usage were thrown out through the entrance door of the newer.
The wood for the newer church was delivered from Russia in exchange for dried cod.
It was a custom at the time to have the church tower, as in this church, in the middle of the church building. What makes the church different from other churches is its spire with the onion shaped dome, a better known shape of domes for southern Germany or Russia
uuid="140128D8-7006-4575-ACAA-2CEFB1B18489" id="Norway lilleulven.com 20140705_083656_NO_Nordland__Flakstad_www.LilleUlven.com.dng Norway Lilleulven.com"